The ritual of using potatoes for skincare dates back 5000 years ago. According to archaeological archives, potato slices were used by medicine men in Peru as a soothing remedy for skin burn. In some countries, it was also used as soap.
Centuries later, the humble potato crop migrated to the rest of the world and became a household staple within no time.
SKIN BENEFITS OF EATING POTATO
It provides relief to sun-damaged skin
Polyphenols found in potatoes provide protection against sun damage, reduce tan and promote even skin tone.
It is anti-inflammatory
Potato juice is rich in zinc which is an essential nutrient for scar healing and soothing inflammation.
It improves complexion
Potato has a high iron content which promotes a healthy, and radiant complexion.
It brightens skin tone
Potato contains azelaic acid which acts as a natural skin brightening agent. Hence, eating potatoes speeds up the fading of scars, blemishes, dark spots, and hyperpigmentation.
It is rich in protein
Potato is rich in lysine which is a quality protein for building and repairing tissues, skin, hair, and fingernails.
It reduces inflamed acne
According to a study, the compounds cytokine and azelaic acid found in potatoes aid in reducing pimples and associated inflammation.
It improves gut health
A healthy colon is essential for clear and radiant skin. Potato is a highly alkaline vegetable and it helps to reduce acidity and other stomach-related concerns in your body.
It is rich in Vitamin C
One serving of potato juice contains even more Vitamin C than our body’s daily requirement. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for collagen building and reducing early signs of aging.
It strengthens skin and hair
Potato is rich in b-vitamins that promote strong and healthy bones, skin, and hair.
It promotes blood purification
Potato is high in potassium which helps in blood purification in the body, thereby promoting clear skin.
It moisturizes dry skin
Potato is a natural source of hyaluronic acid which is an excellent agent to replenish skin moisture and hydrate your skin from within.
It improves skin health
Potato peels are rich in phenolic compounds, riboflavin, ascorbic acid, folic acid, and b-vitamins that promote the overall health of our eyes, skin, and nervous system.
HOME REMEDIES FOR USING POTATO FOR SKIN
Potato for skin toning
Potato juice is a natural astringent. This means that it contracts skin cells and promotes youthful skin. It also improves the appearance of pores.
- Wash, peel, and grate a potato. Squeeze out its juice in a bowl.
- Cleanse your face and neck using your preferred cleanser from our wide range of organic face washes and soap bars. Pat your skin dry.
- Dip a cotton round in the prepared potato juice and squeeze out the excess.
- Swipe your face and neck with the cotton round to tone your skin.
Potato for face brightening and reducing suntan
Potato is rich in antioxidants that reduce the appearance of tan, dark spots, and scars while promoting even skin tone, softness, and glow.
- Take a spoonful of Bentonite Clay in a bowl. You may also use our Kakadu Plum, Matcha, and Blood Orange Vitamin C rich face mask for added face brightening benefits.
- Add enough potato juice to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply a thin layer of this paste on your face and neck. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off gently using lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Potato for skin soothing
Due to its anti-inflammatory nature, potato is often used as a remedy to soothe mild skin burns and sunburn. Freshly grated potato can be directly placed on the affected area, or a mixture of potato juice, cucumber juice, and freshly squeezed aloe vera gel can be applied on the spot.
THINGS TO NOTE WHILE USING REMEDIES WITH POTATO FOR SKIN
- Patch test every new ingredient and product on your inner arm before applying it to your face.
- Discontinue using ingredients or products that cause sensitivity, rash, itching, or redness on your skin.
- Moisturize your skin after using potato for toning and masking to complete the regime.
- While using remedies or products containing ingredients that are brightening or clarifying in nature, prevent sun exposure as much as possible for gaining maximum benefits from these ingredients. Use our Camellia and Red Raspberry Certified Natural Sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Be consistent with your chosen remedy and routine. Natural ingredients often work slowly, but steadily.
- Do not use ingredients that you are allergic to.
- Natural ingredients are gentle. But it is important not to overdo masking to keep the skin barrier intact. Stick to masking once or twice a week.
- Do not use stale or oxidized potatoes. Natural ingredients give maximum results when they are used fresh.
- Do not make the potato juice or mask in bulk and store it in the refrigerator. Products containing moisture can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Do not apply too much pressure on your skin while toning and masking, especially if you have active acne or bumps on your face. Be gentle.
JUICY CHEMISTRY PRODUCTS THAT ARE MADE WITH POTATOPotato, Tomato and Lemongrass Organic Soap –
Juicy Chemistry's Potato, Tomato & Lemongrass Organic Soap is formulated with saponified Olive and Coconut Oils and Shea and Mango seed butter that nourishes and repair the skin barrier.
It has Potato and Tomato extracts to reduce the appearance of tan, and Lemongrass, Bergamot and Tulsi Essential Oils to soothe inflammation and improve skin tone and texture.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can the Potato, Tomato and Lemongrass Organic Soap be used on the face?
Yes. Our natural soaps are handmade with organic plant oils that cleanse gently and leave the skin moisturized. They are gentle on your face as well as your body.
How long does it take to show results?
Our skin experiences months of wear and tear before it starts showing signs of concern. Hence, time taken by any natural remedy to show visible results depends on how deep the concern goes into your skin.
When it comes to using natural ingredients for face brightening, scar healing, or reducing sun damage, consistency and patience are key.