Tea tree essential oil is one of the most popular ingredients in skincare as well as hair care products. The popularity can be attributed to the myriad benefits it offers. It is extracted from the leaves and terminal branches of Melaleuca Alternifolia, a tree native to Australia. It is a pale yellow to clear in appearance with a camphorous smell.
Usually, tea tree essential oil is extracted by the method of steam distillation. It is the most conventional and oldest form of essential oil extraction. The leaves and terminal branches of Malecula Alternifolia are used to extract the essential oil.
The steam distillation technique deploys a temperature and amount controlled steam current to isolate two compounds based on their varying sensitivity to temperature. It not only helps in separating the compounds at a lower temperature (in comparison with simple distillation) but also in avoiding the decomposition of compounds due to the use of high temperatures.
TEA TREE OIL FOR ACNE
Tea tree essential oil offers a variety of benefits when it comes to skincare. The essential oil has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties. It is especially helpful in healing mild to moderate acne with regular use due to the above properties.
Tea tree essential oil has a complex mixture of hydrocarbons and terpenes of approximately 100 components. Out of them let us check the main components viz. 1,6-cineole and 1-terpinen-4-ol.
- 1-terpinen-4-ol is a plant metabolite, an antibacterial agent, an antioxidant, an anti-inflammatory agent
- 1,6-cineole is naturally produced cyclic ether and monoterpenoid. It reduces inflammation and pain when applied topically.
HOW TO USE TEA TREE OIL FOR ACNE?
- Make a 1% diluted mixture of tea tree oil and any of the above-mentioned carrier oils.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it in the mixture
- Apply to the acne as a spot treatment
- Leave it on for half an hour or overnight
- Wash off with lukewarm water or your favorite face wash
Before you proceed to use tea tree essential oil for acne follow the below guidelines
- Patch test the essential oil before use
- The essential oil has to be used at 1% dilution, that is if you take 1ml of tea tree essential oil then use 99ml of carrier oil for dilution
- Do not ingest tea tree essential oil as it is very harmful if ingested
- Keep away from children and kids
- Always store in a dark, cool place away from sunlight
When used in diluted form, topically, on mild to moderate acne tea tree oil offers the following benefits
- It can help kill the bacteria causing acne while protecting the skin against build-ups that cause breakouts
- The acne lesions are reduced and the overall appearance of the skin is clarified
- The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree essential oil help to reduce acne inflammation as well as pain
- It can also help reduce the swelling and redness of acne.
OTHER BENEFITS OF TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL
Tea Tree Oil is beneficial for hair and scalp as well. Do not use undiluted tea tree essential oil to treat any of the following conditions. You can use products formulated with tea tree oil to reap its benefits.
- Dandruff - The antifungal properties of tea tree oil make it a good choice to control malassezia induced dandruff. It might help to inhibit the growth of the fungus when used regularly. [study]
- Head lice - Tea tree essential oil is said to kill head lice with regular use. [study]
- Indirectly help with hair growth - The tea tree essential oil may not help with direct hair growth. It can help with other hair conditions such as dandruff which may in turn help with hair growth.
- Athlete's Foot - Tea tree essential oil helps to alleviate the symptoms of athlete's foot. It may help reduce inflammation and itching.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST TEA TREE OIL?
Using a good tea tree essential oil is as important as the way in which you use it. Check the below-mentioned details to find the best tea tree oil
- It will contain only one ingredient and that is Malecula Alternifolia
- It should not contain any other ingredient apart from the above mentioned
- It should be extracted by steam distilled essential oil
- It should be housed in an amber-colored glass bottle
- Look out for the certifications, if any, which the brand offers
JUICY CHEMISTRY OFFERS AN ARRAY OF SKIN CARE PRODUCTS MADE WITH AUSTRALIAN TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL (CERTIFIED ORGANIC BY ECOCERT (FRANCE) IN ACCORDANCE TO COSMOS STANDARD)
- Juicy Chemistry Hemp, Tea Tree & Neem Face Wash - a cleanser well suited for oily skin type and helps with active acne and even skin tone
- Juicy Chemistry Tea Tree, Neem and Rosemary Organic cold-pressed soap - this multi-utility soap bar can double up as a cleanser for acne-prone skin and as a disinfectant hand wash
- Juicy Chemistry Frankincense & Hemp Facial Oil - This facial oil works as a spot treatment and helps to heal acne and reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Juicy Chemistry Australian Tea Tree & Basil Water Toner - This toner prevents acne and soothes skin inflammations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL
Can you put tea tree oil directly on your skin?
No, you need to dilute it in order to use it on the skin. Dilute 1% of tea tree essential oil with 99% of carrier oil to be and then use on your skin.
How many times should I use tea tree oil a day?
You can use tea tree oil once per day, preferably at night or as a wash-off treatment by keeping it for one hour. However, if you are using products formulated with tea tree oil, you can use them as directed by the instructions of the product.
Can I leave tea tree oil on my face overnight?
Yes, you can leave tea tree oil on your face overnight. Make sure you are not allergic to it and are using it in diluted form. Wash off with lukewarm water in the morning
We hope you find the tea tree oil for acne post useful.